RECIPE: Chocolate & Coffee Torte
by Chloe Cooks
We became fans of Chloe (of @chloecooks) for her amazing recipes and beautiful photography thereof. A freelance recipe developer, food stylist, art director and writer, her Instagram is like a one-stop shop for food and creative satiation.
Read on for Chloe's recipe for a delicious chocolate & coffee torte.
2 sticks of salted butter
1 cup + 2 tablespoons cane sugar
1 cup + 2 tablespoons @canyoncoffee hot espresso
2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips
6 large eggs, at room temperature
6 large egg yolks, at room temperature
coffee whipped cream (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 325F and either butter or oil a 9 inch springform cake pan as well as lining the bottom with parchment paper. set aside for now.
2. Next, make your espresso and set aside.
3. In a saucepan, over medium heat begin to melt the butter. once the butter is melted add in the sugar and stir to combine. next add in the espresso and continue to stir until all of the sugar has dissolved.
4. Add in the chocolate and stir until fully melted and incorporated into the coffee, butter, sugar mixture. take the pan off the stove and let everything cool for at least 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl add the eggs and egg yolks and whisk until very fluffy and frothy. now whisk in the slightly cooled chocolate / coffee mixture.
6. Pour everything into the lined and greased springform pan, and then I like to place the cake pan on another baking sheet for extra security.
7. Pop everything into the preheated oven for an hour (or sometimes a little longer). keep an eye on it. you want the edges to be slightly puffed and cracked and the middle to be just set, with a slight wobble. it will continue setting as it cools.
8. Make sure the torte is fully cooled before serving. when you are ready to serve, run a knife around the inside edge of the pan to release. i love to serve this with a generous sprinkle of flaky sea salt (the chunky bits) and some espresso whipped cream.
This is just as lovely cold, as it is at room temp. oh and this recipe is completely gluten free!